ANSWER SHEET for the
LANDSLIDE WORKSHEET (4)
See pages 3 & 4 below for the questions.
Fill in your answers here & return to the instructor by the due date.
Name: Cheryl Asaro
1: (i) Mass wasting
2. (i) Falling
3. (i) driving
(vi) shear strength
4. (i) mineral composition
(ii) degree of cementation
(iii) the presence of zones of weakness
(iv) earth material to transmit water
5. (i) steeper
(vi) mass wasting
6. (i) type
7. (i) protective
8. (i) directly
9. (i) forces
10. My garden has rocks in it, exhibiting mass wasting.
LANDSLIDE WORKSHEET (4)
1. (i)___________ _______________ is a comprehensive term for any type of (ii)__________________ movement of earth materials. (iii)______________ are the most common landforms on Earth. Although most slopes appear (iv)___________ and (v)__________, they are actually (vi)____________, evolving systems. For the sake of convenience, the textbook sometimes refers to all types of Mass Wasting as (vii)_________.
2. Fill in the name of each type of Mass Wasting listed below:
(i) _____________________: the free fall of earth material
(ii) _____________________: the downslope movement of a coherent block of material
(iii) _____________________: sliding along a curved slip plane producing slump blocks
(iv) _____________________: unconsolidated material which moves & mixes about
(v) _____________________: very slow flowage
3. The stability of a slope can be assessed by determining the relationship between (i)___________ forces that move earth materials (ii)___________ a slope, and (iii)__________ forces that (iv)____________ such movement. The most common driving force is the downslope component of the (v)_______________ of the slope material. The most common resisting force is the (vi)___________ _________________ of the slope material.
4. The Role of Earth Material Type: Important material characteristics include:
5. The Role of Slope & Topography: In general, the (i) ________________ the slope, the greater the (ii)______________ force. Topographic (iii)_________ refers to the height of the hill or mountain above the land below. Areas of (iv)___________ relief are generally (v) ___________ prone to (vi)___________ __________________.
6. The Role of Climate: For landslides, the (i)_________ of climate influences the (ii)______________ and (iii)________________ of water that (iv)_______________________ or (v)__________________ a hillslope and the type and (vi)____________________ of hillslope (vii)______________________.
7. The Role of Vegetation: Vegetation provides a (i)______________ cover that cushions the impact of falling rain; the plant (ii)______________ add strength and cohesion to the slope materials; and vegetation also adds (iii)_______________ to a slope.
8. The Role of Water: water is almost always (i)___________ or (ii) ___________ involved with landslides, so its role is particularly important. When studying a landslide, scientists first examine what water is doing both (iii)______ and (iv)_____________ the slope.
9. The Role of Time: The (i)___________ acting on slopes often (ii)__________ with time.
10. List one area in your yard, or near your home, that exhibits some type of mass wasting: _____________________________________________________